KILLANEAR, or KILNANARE, a parish, in the barony of MAGONIHY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 3 miles (E. N. E.) from Milltown, on the river Maine, and on the old post road from Tralee to Killarney ; containing 1776 inhabitants. It comprises 4993 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act : the land is in general good, and chiefly in tillage ; lime stone abounds and is used for manure, and the state of agriculture is improving : there are a few patches of bog. At Clonmellane is a station of the constabulary police. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Ard fert and Aghadoe, and in the patronage of the Bishop ; the rectory forms part of the union and corps of the deanery. The tithes amount to £184. 13. 3., payable in equal portions to the dean and vicar. There is neither church, glebe-house, nor glebe. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Fieries. In a public school supported by subscription about 50, and in two private schools about 70, children are educated. The ruins of the old church still remain in the burial-ground ; and those of Clonmellane castle stand near the river Maine.