All Lewis entries for Killiney



Killiney

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Kerry

CASTLE-GREGORY

CASTLE-GREGORY, a town, in the parish of KILLEINY, barony of CORKAGUINEY, County of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 12 miles (W.) from Tralee; containing 970 inhabitants. This town, which is situated on the Connor Hill road from Tralee to Dingle, and on the southern coast of Tralee bay, derives its name from an ancient castle founded by Gregory Hussey, which, in the war of 1641, was garrisoned for the king by its then proprietor, Walter Hussey. After sustaining a protracted assault from Cromwell's forces, the garrison, with their commander, escaped by night to Minard Castle, in the neighbourhood, in which they were besieged by Cols. Le Hunt and Sadler, and blown up by gunpowder laid under the vaults of the castle; there are no remains of this fortress. The town contains 160 houses, the greater number of which are thatched. A patron fair is held on Aug. 15th, which is also a fair for cattle. It is in contemplation to establish a penny post from Tralee and Dingle. A constabulary police force and a coast-guard have been stationed here; the latter has a detachment at Magharee, and is one of the five stations that constitute the district of Tralee. Petty sessions are held irregularly. The R. C. chapel, a substantial cruciform structure, was erected in 1831 ; and a school-room is about to be built, the late Rev. T. Fitzgerald, P. P. having bequeathed £30 per annum for educating poor children of the parish.-See KILLEINY.

KILLEINY

KILLEINY, or KILLINEY, a parish, in the barony of CORKAGUINEY, county of KERRY, and province of MUNSTER, 12- miles (W. by S.) from Tralee ; containing 3344 inhabitants, of which number, 263 are in the village. It includes the low sandy peninsula of Magharee, which separates the bay of Tralee from that of Brandon. Off the northern extremity of the peninsula are the small isles called the Magharees, or " Seven Hogs," which abound with limestone, and where kelp is still made, but not to its former extent. To the west of Castle Gregory is a small lake, which might be easily drained, and an embankment or pier would be of great benefit. The parish comprises 2261 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, besides a considerable tract of mountain and bog. The arable land, which is generally manured with sea-weed, is extremely fertile and particularly noted for producing wheat of a superior quality. Stone for building abounds, and limestone is found near the glebe. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Ardfert and Aghadoe, and in the patronage of the Bishop : the tithes amount to £432. 18. 5. The church is a small plain structure, for the rebuilding of which the late Board of First Fruits gave £800, in 1812, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners lately granted £159 for its repair. There is no glebe-house : the glebe is merged in the bishop's farm of Killeiny, but the tenant pays £16 per ann. to the rector. In the R. C. divisions this parish forms part of the union or district of Castle Gregory, which comprises the parishes of Killeiny, North Cloghane, Strabally, and Ballyduff, and has chapels at Castle Gregory and North Cloghane. There are three private schools, in which about 130 children are educated, and an infants' school. The ruins of the old church adjoin the present edifice ; and at Killeton are vestiges of an ancient burial-ground.-See CASTLEGREGORY.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021