MEELICK, a parish, in the barony of LONGFORD, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 4 miles (S. E.) from Eyrecourt ; containing 1643 inhabitants. This parish, which is also called Milick, is situated on the river Shannon, and comprises 3404 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act. O'Madden, dynast of the adjacent country, founded a monastery here for conventual friars on a beautiful site surrounded in winter by the outspreading waters of the Shannon. In 1203, William de Burgo made it a garrison for his troops ; and at the dissolution it was granted to Sir John King, who assigned it to the Earl of Clanrickarde. In the village is a station of the constabulary police. It is in the diocese of Clonfert ; the rectory is partly appropriate to the see, and partly to the archdeaconry ; and the vicarage forms part of the union of Dononaughta. The tithes amount to £97. 16. 11-., of which £27. 13. 10-. is payable to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, £33. 4. 7-. to the archdeacon, and the remainder to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the union or district of Eyrecourt ; there is a convent of Franciscans, with a chapel attached, which is open to the public.