KILROGUE, a village, in the parish of LACCAGH, barony of CLARE, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 6 miles (N. E. by N.) from Galway, on the road to Tuam ; containing 48 inhabitants. This small village, consisting only of a very few scattered dwellings. has, since the census of 1821, decreased to nearly one-fourth part of its population at that time.
LACKAGH, a parish, in the barony of CLARE, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (N. E. by N.) from Galway, on the road to Castle-Blakeney ; containing 2190 inhabitants. In 1504, Mac William of Clanricarde, O'Brien of Thomond, and other chieftains, suddenly captured Galway, but were soon afterwards defeated by the lord-deputy, the Earl of Kildare, at Knocktuadh, in this parish, with great slaughter, when two of Mac William's sons were made prisoners ; Galway was recovered, and Athenry surrendered. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, forming part of the union of Annaghdown ; the rectory forms the corps of the prebend of Lackagh in the cathedral of Tuam. The tithes amount to £205. 3. 4-., of which £100 is payable to the prebendary, and the remainder to the vicar. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and contains a chapel. There are four private schools, in which about 230 children are educated.