KILTORMER, a parish, in the barony of LONGFORD, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 3? miles (N. W.) from Eyrecourt, on the road to Loughrea ; containing 2133 inhabitants. It comprises 4859 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and a considerable quantity of reclaimable bog. Here is a constabulary police station. The principal seats are Eyrcville, an elegant mansion in the Italian. style of architecture, the residence of T. Stratford Eyre, Esq., by whom it was built ; Bellevue, of W. Lawrence, Esq. ; Mount Pleasant, of Chas. Seymour, Esq. ; Skycur, of P. Callaghan, Esq. ; Ballydonagh, of F. Madden, Esq. ; and Chilbame, of De La Warr Digges, Esq. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Clonfert, episcopally united in 1813 to the rectories and vicarages of Killoran and Abbeygormagan, and in the patronage of the Bishop ; the rectory is appropriate to the bishop and deanery of Clonfert. The tithes amount to #101. 10. 9?., of which #41. 10. 9?. is payable to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, #27. 13. 10?. to the dean, and #32. 6. 1?. to the vicar ; the tithes of the benefice amount to #200. 18. 5?. The glebe-house was erected by a gift of #450 and a loan of #145 from the late Board of First Fruits, in 1818 : there is a glebe of two acres. The church, which is in the village of Kiltormer-Kelly, was built in 1815 on a site given by T. Stratford Eyre, Esq., by a gift of #600 and a loan of #200 from the same Board, and has been recently repaired by a grant of #109 from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners ; it is a neat edifice with a square tower, enclosed in a planted area. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a union or district, comprising also part of Clonfert, and has a chapel at Kiltormer-Kelly. The parochial school, in which 50 children are educated, is aided by a donation of #6 annually from the incumbent ; and there is a national school, in which nearly 400 children are taught, for which J. Prendergast, Esq., gave the site and #50 towards its erection. There are also two private schools of about 90 children. At Ballydough, on the south side of the road, are the foundations of a large castle. A holy well here is resorted to annually on the last Sunday in July by numbers of the peasantry.
KILTORMER-KELLY, a village, in the parish of KILTORMER, barony of LONGFORD, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 7 miles (S. by E.) from Ballinasloe : the population is returned with the parish. This is a rising village, in a well cultivated district, within 5 miles of the Grand Canal ; and has cattle fairs on the 17th of Feb. May, Aug., and Nov. A fine quarry of black marble has been recently discovered in the vicinity. Here are the parish church, R. C. chapel, and national school. It is the estate of Charles Kelly, a friar, whose ancestors founded Kilconnell Abbey, and some others in this county.