All Lewis entries for Killora



Killora

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Galway

CRAUGHWELL

CRAUGHWELL, a post-town, in the parish of KILLORA, barony of DUNKELLIN, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 12 miles (S. E. by E.) from Galway, and 92 (W. by S.) from Dublin : the population is returned with the parish. Petty sessions are held every Monday, and a constabulary police force is stationed here. The town is intersected by a mountain stream, and in the neighbourhood are several gentlemen s seats, among which are Ballimore, the residence of R. Rathborne, Esq. ; Rockfield, of Mark Browne, Esq. ; Aggard, of John Lambert, Esq. ; and Moyode Castle, of Burton Persse, Esq. The church for the union of Killinane, and the Roman Catholic chapel, are situated here.

KILLORA

KILLORA, a parish, partly in the barony of KILTARTAN, but chiefly in that of DUNKELLIN, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, on the road from Loughrea to Galway ; containing, with the post-town of Craughwell, 1663 inhabitants. The principal seats are Ballimore, the residence of R. Rathborne, Esq. ; Rockfield, of M. Brown, Esq. ; Aggard, of J. Lambert, Esq. ; and Moyode Castle, of Burton Persse, Esq. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Kilmacduagh, forming part of the union of Killinane, or Kilthomas: the rectory is appropriate to the see and archdeaconry: the tithes amount to £157, of which £28 is payable to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, £50 to the archdeacon, and £79 to the vicar. The R. C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church, and is called Craughwell, at which place the chapel is situated. About 250 children are educated in two private schools.-See CRAUGHWELL.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021