All Lewis entries for Killimorbologue



Killimorbologue

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Galway

KILLIMORE-BOLLOGE

KILLIMORE-BOLLOGE, a parish, in the barony of LONGFORD, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 7- miles (W. S. W.) from Eyrecourt, on the road from that place to Loughrea ; containing 4284 inhabitants. The parish comprises 6848 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and a considerable quantity of bog. There is a constabulary police station at Killimore ; and fairs are held there on Jan. 1st, March 17th, June 29th, Sept. 29th, and Nov. 22nd. The principal seats are Heathlawn, that of M. Monahan, Esq. ; Hearnesbrooke, of G. D. Hearne Kirkaldy, Esq., J.P. ; and Rathmore, of J. McDermott, Esq., J.P. It is a vicarage in the diocese of Clonfert, forming part of the union of Dononaughta ; the rectory is appropriate to the see. The tithes amount to £193. 16. 11., of which £83. 1. 6-. is payable to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and £110. 15. 4-. to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, comprising also Tyrenascragh, and containing a chapel in each parish. About 200 children are educated in three private schools.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2020