All Lewis entries for Killeely



Killeely

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Galway

KILLILY

KILLILY, or KILLEELY, a parish, partly in the barony of LOUGHREA, partly in that of KILTARTAN, but chiefly in that of DUNKELLIN, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT ; 4 miles (S.) from Oranmore, on the road from that place to Ardrahan ; containing 1443 inhabitants, and 3775 statute acres. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Kilmacduagh, forming part of the union of Kilcolgan ; the rectory is appropriate to the see, provostship, and archdeaconry of Kilmacduagh, to the prebend of Kinvarra in the cathedral of that see, and to the vicarage. The tithes amount to £126, of which £25 is payable to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, £23 to the archdeacon, £30 to the provost, £6 to the prebend, and £42 to the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it forms part of the district of Kinvarra, and contains a chapel. About 65 children are educated in a public school aided by an annual donation from the vicar ; and 245 in four private schools.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021