All Lewis entries for Kilkilvery



Kilkilvery

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Galway

KILKILVERY

KILKILVERY, a parish, in the barony of CLARE, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, on the road from Headfort to Tuam; containing, with part of the post-town of Headfort, 1330 inhabitants. The seats are Ross Lodge, the residence of W. J. Blake, Esq.; and Lysdonagh, of - O'Flaherty, Esq. The living is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, episcopally united to the rectories and vicarages of Killeny, Killursa, Kilcoona, Killower, Donaghpatrick, and Carrigin, together forming the union of Headfort, in the patronage of the Archbishop: the tithes amount to £110. 18. 0-., and those of the whole union to £1094. 6. 9-. The church, for the repairs of which the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £130, is a neat edifice in the town of Headfort. The glebe-house is a neat residence, and the glebe comprises 20 acres. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of the union or district of Headfort, comprising also the parishes of Killeny and Killursa, and containing a chapel here and another in Killeny. There is a private school, in which about 120 children are taught.-See HEADFORT.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021