All Lewis entries for Kilcroan



Kilcroan

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Galway

KILCROAN

KILCROAN, a parish, in the barony of HALF-BALLYMOE, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 11 miles (N. W. by W.) from Roscommon, on the road from that place to Dunmore ; containing 2329 inhabitants, This parish comprises 3875 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, exclusively of a large quantity of bog, and contains Glinsk, the seat of Sir John Burke, Bart. It is a vicarage, in the diocese of Elphin, forming part of the union of Donamon ; the rectory is impropriate in Lord Ranelagh, and the tithes amount to £106. 15., which is equally divided between the impropriator and the vicar. In the R. C. divisions it is the head of a union or district, called Glinsk and Kilcroan, including the parishes of Kilcroan, Ballynakill, Ardclare, and Oran, and containing chapels at Glinsk and Ballymoe. About 20 children are educated in a public, and about 50 in a private, school ; there is also a Sunday school. Here are the ruins of an ancient church, and at Tubberroe are the remains of an abbey.

TUBBER

TUBBER, or TUBBER-ROE, a village, in the parish of KILCROAN, barony of HALF-BALLYMOE, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (S. W.) from Ballymoe, near the road from Dunmore to Ros common ; containing 141 inhabitants. Here are the ruins of an ancient abbey.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021