All Lewis entries for Kilconickny



Kilconickny

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Galway

KILCONICKNY

KILCONICKNY, a parish, partly in the baronies of ATHENRY and LOUGHREA, but chiefly in that of DUNKELLIN, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 2 - miles (w. by N.) from Loughrea, on the road from that place to Galway ; containing 2666 inhabitants. It comprises 8528 statute acres : there is no bog ; limestone is procured for burning. The principal seats are St. Cleran's, the residence of J. H. Burke, Esq., and Dunsandall, of J. Daly, Esq. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Clonfert, episcopally united to the vicarages of Lickerrig, Kiltullagh, and Kilconeran, and in the patronage of the Bishop ; the rectory is appropriate to the bishoprick, the deanery, the prebend of Killaspicmoylan, the rectory of Loughrea, and the vicars choral of Christ Church, Dublin. The tithes amount to £243. 12., of which £32. 6. 1-. is payable to the bishop, £27. 13. 10-. to the dean, £18. 9. 2-. to the prebendary, £130 . 1. 2-. to the rector, £7. 7. 8-. to the lessee of the vicars choral, and £27. 13. 10-. to the vicar : the entire tithes of the benefice amount to £285. 7. 4-. The church is at Lickerrig, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners have recently granted £183 for its repair. There is a glebe-house, with a glebe of 7 - and another of 25 acres in the union. Some remains of the ancient castle of St. Cleran yet exist.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021