KILCONNELL, a post-town and a parish, in the barony of KILCONNELL, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 30- miles (E. by N.) from Galway, and 78- (w. by S.) from Dublin ; containing 1910 inhabitants. It derives its name from St. Conall, who was abbot here in the time of St. Patrick. A monastery of Franciscan friars was founded about 1400, by William O'Kelly, which was reformed by his son Malachy, in 1460 : at the dissolution it was granted to Charles Calthorpe, Esq. The ruins are extremely interesting, and contain several inscriptions, coats of arms, &c. ; it was a favourite burial-place for many of the most respectable families in Galway. The town contains 52 houses ; it is a constabulary police station, and has a penny post to Aughrim ; fairs are held on May 9th, Aug. 4th, Nov. 11th, and Dec. 18th ; and a manorial court is held occasionally. The parish contains 4512 statute acres, including a small quantity of bog. The seats are Hillwood, the residence of Hyacinth Donnellan, Esq. ; Ballinderry, of J. Comyn, Esq. ; Carrowmanagh, of T. Bermingham, Esq. ; Killagh, of Capt. Donnellan ; and Mount Evans, of G. Crewe, Esq. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Clonfert, forming, with the rectories and vicarages of Killane and Fohenagh, the union of Kilconnell, in the patronage of the Bishop ; the rectory is appropriate to the see, the prebend of Kilconnell in the cathedral of Clonfert, and the vicarage. The tithes amount to £115. 7 8., of which £18. 9. 2-. is payable to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, £32. 6. l-. to the prebendary, and £64. 12. 3-. to the vicar ; and the entire tithes of the benefice amount to £266. 15. 4-. In the R. C. divisions the parish is the head of a district, comprising also Aughrim, in each of which is a chapel ; that of Kilconnell is a large and handsome building. About 170 children are educated in three private schools. On the lands of Calla are the ruins of an old castle, and a lake nearly a mile in circumference. A village in this parish, called in Irish Bollin Whin Shouge, or "Ash Village," gives the title of Baron to Lord Ashtown.