All Lewis entries for Drumacoo



Drumacoo

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Galway

DROMACOO

DROMACOO, a parish, in the barony of DUNKELLIN, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 8- miles (N. N. w.) from Gort, on the bay of Galway ; containing 1044 inhabitants. It comprises 1723 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and is in the diocese of Kilmacduagh ; the rectory is partly appropriate to the see, partly to the vicars choral of Cinristchurch cathedral, Dublin, and partly to the prebendary of Islandeddy ; the vicarage forms part of the union ot' Kilcolgan, The tithes amount to £53. 11., of 'which £12. 12. is payable to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, £18. 18. to the vicars choral, £15. 15. to the vicar, and £6. 6. to the prebendary, In the R. C. divisions the parish, called Ballindirreen, from the place where the chapel is situated, is co-extensive with that of the Established Church. There are four private schools, in which are about 160 children. The ruins of the old church have been converted into a mausoleum for the family of St. George, whose mansion stands in the adjoining parish of Stradbally, though part of the demesne is within the limits of this parish.

EDDY ISLAND

EDDY ISLAND, in Galway bay, parish of DROMACOO, barony of DUNKELLIN, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 5 miles (S. by E.) from Galway: the population is returned with the parish. It comprises 95 acres of land, and is a prebend in the diocese of Kilmacduagh, and in the patronage of the Bishop, endowed with a portion of the tithes of Dromacoo, amounting to £6. 6. With other lands it was granted by Chas. II., in 1667, to Dr. Robert Georges, at a rent of £1. 2. 10-. Here are the ruins of an old castle.

KILLEEN

KILLEEN, or NEW ARRAN, a village, in the parish of DROMACOO, in the barony of DUNKELLIN, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 4 miles (N. E.) from Kinvarra, on the road from that place to Galway ; containing, in 1831, 360, and in 1836, 600 inhabitants. It is on the bay of Galway, and has a pier.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021