All Lewis entries for Cummer



Cummer

More information on Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837)
Accompanying Lewis map for Galway

KILMACREAN

KILMACREAN, or KILMACRENAN, also called COMMER, a parish, in the barony of CLARE, county of GALWAY, and province of CONNAUGHT, 4 miles (S. E.) from Tuam, on the road to Galway ; containing 1907 inhabitants. The land is cultivated under an improved system of agriculture ; there is much reclaimable bog and rocky waste. Here are numerous turloughs, which are navigable for lighters in the winter months, but are dry in summer, when they afford excellent pasture and good training ground for race-horses. Good limestone is obtained in the parish. The principal scats are Ballinderry, the residence of J. Nolan, Esq. ; Ballybanagher, of A. Nolan, Esq. ; Waterville, of - Cunneys, Esq. ; Currofin, of Pierce Blake, Esq. ; Ardstrea, of J. Browne, Esq. ; and Annagh, of 3. Bodkin., Esq. It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, forming part of the union of Moylough: the tithes amount to £280. In the R. C. divisions it is part of the union or district called Clare Tuam, or Currofin, and has a chapel at Currofin, which is a neat stone building. There are three public schools, in which about 270 children are educated, and one private school, in which about 30 are educated. Here are the ruins of Ballinderry castle ; of an old fort, or encampment, with five long, low rooms, flagged over and communicating with each other by narrow passages ; and of an old church, with a burial-ground attached.


Irish Times subscribers | | John Grenham | | Sitemap | | Login | | Subscribe | | Contact | | FAQs | | What's new?| | Privacy policy

Copyright © John Grenham 2021